logo

logo

Monday, November 7, 2011

Halloween Costumes are like Beer

Old favorites always bring a smile, homemade ones always are good, and plenty of people are trying the latest thing.  Am I talking about beer or Halloween costumes here?
Halloween comes close to my birthday.  26.  I turned 26 this year.  And I am still chasing down this dream I had when I was 18: a beer movie.  Sometimes things in your head just appear so clear.  I don’t know how long it will take but it will happen.  The dream doesn’t end there.  See I want to take that movie and tour on it, promoting Wisconsin and in turn become an icon of beer.  That plan may sound silly to you or it may sound genius, either way I’m sticking to it as anything worthwhile is hard and I’m attacking this piece by piece.
When it is your birthday in Eau Claire you go to the Pickle.  For many that is the only time during the year you go to the Pickle.  The Pickle has a reputation of lowest common detonator behavior that once you actually turn 21 you try to avoid.  Loud music, fights, grouping and all other types of assorted drama as if the casting directors of Jersey Shore/Jerry Springer hang out there.  But on your birthday you get to spin a wheel and win shit.
Sign me up for that.  For me the Pickle keeps all the people that go to the Pickle at the Pickle.  It is good at what it does and as high class as Eau Claire thinks it is the Pickle is one of the busiest bars in town.  I’d love to interview the owner for “wisconsinbeerun” as he is quite the character: loud, outspoken, and Patriotic.  I’m a big believer in the more Patriotic you are the shadier the business you are running is. 
But hey, I got to spin the wheel and win 2$ shots for the bar.
Last Halloween I got to do a field sobriety test in my costume.  Really didn’t want to repeat that this year so I put myself on a three beer maximum for the night and had a great time and shared some laughs.  My costume was “future man” which was just me in duct tape, tin foil and garbage bags. 
Went to a few bars and got home with no run ins with the law this year.  Drinking in a costume is always an adventure and even sociably acceptable this time of year.  







No comments:

Post a Comment